Philadelphia's largest new cultural attraction is back! Wonderspaces Philadelphia celebrated its reopening and one-year anniversary with the debut of new installations that include Akousmaflore by Scenocosme, Thank You Bags by Reed van Brunschot, and a new Virtual Reality film: Notes on Blindness: Into Darkness by Peter Middleton, James Spinney, Arnaud Colinart, and Amaury La Burthe.
The new artworks join popular returning exhibits, including the glowing Submergence by Squidsoup, the sunrise and sunset of Sun by Phillip Schutte and the colorful Body Paint by Memo Akten. With the reopening of its doors, Wonderspaces will continue to implement health and safety protocols designed to keep patrons and team members safe during the global pandemic, including requiring face masks at all times, including for photos.
Hours for reopening weekend are Friday from 4:00 pm to 10:00pm, Saturday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm, and Sunday from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm. Regular hours are Wednesdays to Fridays 4:00pm to 10:00pm, Saturdays 10:00 am to 10:00 pm, Sundays 10:00 am to 8:00 pm, and closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Wonderspaces is located at 27 N 11th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, with entrances located in the Fashion District and on 11th Street. The Philadelphia venue is the only location on the East Coast for the California-based company. For local residents and visitors staying hyperlocal this winter, Wonderspaces Philadelphia offers a unique, interactive and socially distanced activity in the heart of Center City, and is currently operating at greatly reduced capacity, making the experience even more personal and intimate. Tickets are for timed slots and are on sale now at philadelphia.wonderspaces.com/.
"We are thrilled to welcome Philly back to Wonderspaces just in time for our one year anniversary here at the Fashion District," said Wonderspaces General Manager Jenn McCreary. "We're reopening with three new artworks, including a brand-new VR experience, as well as an ongoing commitment to the health and wellness of our visitors and team members. Now more than ever, people are looking for safe ways to spend time with family and friends outside of their homes-- being able to provide that experience is at the core of our mission."
Wonderspaces partners with artists from around the world to present art shows that everyone can enjoy as a place to connect with friends and family in a setting welcoming to all. Its shows bring art from Burning Man, Sundance, and the far corners of the globe to the people who could be enjoying it but who may not otherwise have the opportunity. And at a time when artists are unable to travel internationally to present their work, Wonderspaces shows are a means for artists to continue to reach new audiences and to be paid for their art.
"We believe providing a safe place to spend quality time with loved ones has never been more important than in the middle of this pandemic," said Wonderspaces President Jason Shin.
In order to create a safe environment for our visitors and team, Wonderspaces Philadelphia has implemented comprehensive health and cleanliness protocols consistent with government recommendations. Please note that these protocols may change over time as new guidance from health authorities becomes available. Protocols currently in place include:
• Reduced number of visitors: In accordance with state and city guidance, we have reduced our maximum occupancy to 5 people per 1,000 square feet.
• Face coverings required: All visitors and team members are required to wear a face-covering while inside our space at all times. Anyone refusing to use a face covering or face shield will be asked to leave the show.
• Social distancing: Our show will be designed around social distancing, and include the following measures: Face-to-face interactions between visitors and our team will be limited to our reception where there are plexiglass barriers.
• Groups will be spaced 6 feet apart in all lines, seatings, and exhibits.
• All furniture and common spaces will be spread out.
• We will provide a suggested directional flow through our space.
•Our employees will observe social distancing when working in the space or meeting with other team members.
•Hand sanitizer stations: Hand sanitizer will be made available to all visitors at reception and wherever the visitor is presented with an opportunity to touch artwork.
• Temperature and symptoms check: All visitors and team members will check their temperature before entering the show
• Frequent cleaning: We regularly sanitize all surfaces frequently touched by the team and public.
• Tickets sold online only: All tickets will be sold either online in advance or, to accommodate walk-up visitors, at our cashless kiosk outside our front door.
• No cash. All transactions are credit- or debit-card only.
• Our bag and coat check will be temporarily closed.
* No group discounts: We have temporarily suspended group discounts to discourage groups of 10 or more visiting together.
Tickets, memberships and health/safety information are available at Wonderspaces Philadelphia's website, at https://philadelphia.wonderspaces.com/.
For art lovers looking to have unlimited visits to Wonderspaces, receive early access to new shows and installations, obtain discounts for their guests, and complementary and discounted items at the gift shop can opt for an annual membership to Wonderspaces. Memberships can be purchased for individual use or as a gift at the Wonderspaces box office.
For any further questions, please email Wonderspaces at email@example.com.